Since it’s all nice and summary here in Melbourne, where everyone is feeling beachy and (possibly still) in holiday spirits, I decided to treat the occasion with lemon cupcakes! Though lemon cupcakes are no way going to quench the thirst or cure the heat, I thought baking something with a zesty theme would at least celebrate the summer happiness.
Lemon cupcakes are great little treats to bake. They’re simple cupcakes that’s charmingly delicious and surprisingly easy to bake. Lemon cupcakes are great for the family and kids. They are also excellent party compliments.
So here they are, my interpretation of summery lemon cupcakes. I hope you enjoy them. Recipe attached below.
Lemon cupcakes recipe
For the cupcakes
115g unsalted butter ( at room temperature)
1 cup buttermilk
2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
2 large whole eggs (at room temperature)
1 large egg yolk (at room temperature)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Finely grated lemon zest ( two medium large lemons)
Line your favorite cupcakes liner in a standard muffin tin and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 Celsius).
In a medium bowl, combine and stir eggs, 1/4 cup buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside. Sift flour 3 times.
- Combine the dry ingredients, including the sugar in an electric mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat all together on low speed for 20 second.
- Add the butter and blend on low speed for about 20 second. Then add remaining 3/4 cup of buttermilk, mix on low speed until just moistened.
- Increase to medium speed and let it mix well for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and begin to add the egg milk mixture in 3 separate batches. Use medium speed beat for 2o seconds after each addition. Stir in the lemon zest.
Use a large size ice cream scoop to batter into the cupcake pan. Bake for approx 16-18 minutes. ( You can stick a toothpick in a cupcake during cooking to check whether it is cooked or not. If it’s cooked the toothpick will be clean as you poke it out.). Be so careful to not over-bake
Place hot baking pans on wire racks, then carefully and remove the cupcakes from the baking pans immediately to let cool. Let cool completely before frosting.
For the lemon buttercream frosting
5 egg whites
200g caster sugar
226g butter (cut into small cube size, at room temperature)
To taste lemon curd and finely grated lemon zest ( two medium large lemons)
- Combine and whisk sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a double boiler (ensure the water in the double boiler is only at a simmer).
- Whisk constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is quite hot to the touch 160 °F (°C). (to test your sugar is fully dissolved, dip your fingers into the mix and rub some between your fingers, If gritty, keep cooking!)
- Then pour mix into an electric mixer and start whipping the egg whites on high speed until it reaches stiff peaks (light and wonderful – like marshmallow).
- At this point start adding butter piece by piece to the meringue. Be sure to add the butter slowly and make sure the each piece is completely incorporated before adding the next. ( If the buttercream becomes soupy after all of the butter is incorporated, put in the fridge and let it cool for 5- 10 minutes before whip it again, also might try adding few more of butter.)
- Add lemon curd, lemon zest and food coloring, keep whipping it until soft and incorporated with the flavor .
To frost the buttercream onto the cupcakes using a pastry bag fitted with an ateco #849 open star decorator tip (or similar).
And there you have it. I hope you have plenty of fun baking. Lemon cupcakes are a an absolute delight for any occasion!